Sunday 25 May 2008

Let's learn Modern Cornish

I have been studying Modern Cornish fairly intensively for a few years. I have not made the progress I would have liked because of frequent changes in orthography (to the non-linguists amongst my readers, that's spelling!). I have decided to start writing this Blog in the hope of assisting a few people along the path with me, as I sort the language and its ramifications out in my own head. The Cornish Language revival has arrived at a very interesting time in its history. As well as the older established systems of spelling and pronunciation (Unified, UCR or Unified Cornish Revised, Kernewek Kemmyn or Common Cornish, Kernûak or Modern Cornish) we now have a new SWF (Single or Standard Written Form) designed to be used across the board for official documents and in schools. The problem for each group is going to be how to reconcile the old and the new. The idea of the SWF (I think) is so that it is readable by all groups, whatever their particular "accent". It remains to be seen how well it will work.

The next post will summarise the reponse of the Cussel an Tavaz Kernûak (Cornish Language Council) which represents users of Modern Cornish.

No comments: